1. What is the procedure for recording change of address of motor vehicles ?

If a registered owner of a vehicle shifts his address as recorded in the Registration Certificate, he must apply for a recording of the new address, after obtaining a N.O.C in Form 28 from the previous registering authority. In cases where such change of address is from one state to another, then the registration number will have to be changed to a local registration number also. The documents required are as under:
Registration Certificate in original.
Form 28 (NOC in duplicate).
Form 20.
Copy of address proof (original to be produced).
Copies of valid insurance/pollution under control certificate.
Fitness certificate, in case of transport vehicles.
Tax Token in the original.
Garage Address proof (in case of transport vehicle).
N.O.C. from the financier, where applicable.

Note: Such registrations of a vehicle are subject to clearance from National Crime Record Bureau (regarding pendency of any alleged offence on road etc).

2. What is the procedure for issue of duplicate registration certificate ?

Any registered owner can apply for a duplicate registration certificate in cases where the original one is either, lost, damaged or mutilated. Following documents needed:
Application in form 26 (in duplicate and with the endorsement from the financier, if hypothecated).
Original copy of the F.I.R.
Copies of valid insurance policy/pollution under control certificate/tax token.
NOC from traffic police & Enforcement wing of Transport Department.
Affidavit in support of the application.

3. How the transfer of ownership of a vehicle can be done?

The transfer of ownership of a vehicle is to be applied in the concerned motor vehicle office where the vehicle is registered with and the following documents are to be submitted:-
Registration Certificate in original.
Form no.29 duly filled.
Form no.30 duly filled.
Copy of valid insurance certificate (original to be shown).
Copy of address proof of buyer (original to be shown).
Valid Pollution under Control Certificate.
Copy of PAN card the purchaser.
Prescribed fee.
Tax token.
Duly filled Form 34 and/or Form 35 in case of hypothecated cases.
Permits surrender slip from S.T.A./R.T.A. (For commercial vehicles).
Offer Letter in the name of the buyer (For commercial vehicles).
Valid Fitness certificate (For commercial vehicles).
(NB: Any Transfer of Right of the vehicle by way of Sale or otherwise should be duly processed and Transfer of ownership recorded/registered with the RA immediately. Otherwise, the previous owner often gets entangled in legal proceedings for any subsequent offence on road etc by the vehicle)
Transfer of ownership in case of death of the registered owner:
In such a case, the application is to be made by the legal heir of the vehicle with the following set of

Registration certificate in original.
Form 31 duly filled along with NOC from financier wherever applicable.
Original copy of the death certificate of the registered owner along with an attested copy.
Succession Certificate, if any.
Certificate from local MP, MLA or senior government officers to that effect.
Affidavit by the applicant to this effect and also from all other legal heirs who may wish to relinquish their right in favor of the applicant.
Copy of address proof of the Applicant.
Copies of valid PUCC/insurance Certificate/PAN Card/Tax Token/Certificate of Fitness.
Prescribed fee.
Permits surrender slip issued by STA branch (For commercial vehicles).
Offer Letter in the_ name of the heir (For commercial vehicles).
Any other document that may be required by the Registering Authority.

4. How can the hypothecation be endorsed or deleted ?

If a vehicle is purchased on loan from a financier the same should be endorsed in the registration certificate. Similarly when the loan is repaid in full the fact of termination of hypothecation is also required to be endorsed. The following documents are required for the same:

Registration certificate in original.
Form no.34 duly filled (for endorsement of Hypothecation).
Form no. 35 duly filled (for deletion of Hypothecation) in duplicate.
A certificate from the financier for having retained full dues from the financier (for deletion case only)
Copies of valid insurance/pollution under control certificate/tax token.

5. What happens if an applicant fails in the test for Driving License ?

Can again apply for a Driving License test after seven days.

6. What are the essentials for getting a Driving License ?

Application Form 4 of C.M.V.Rules 1989. An effective learner’s license to drive the vehicle of the type to which the application relates and issued not less than 30(thirty) days ago. Govt. fees.

7. How one can renew Driving License ?

Application in Form 9 and 1A of C.M.V.Rules 1989. Original Driving Licence.
To apply not before 30 days prior to expiry or not after five years of expiry. Govt. fees and D/L Smart card fees.

8. How one can get duplicate Driving License, if Lost/Destroyed/Mutilated ?

Application in Form- LLD.
A general diary to any Police Station regarding the loss of Driving License.
An affidavit regarding the loss of D/L.
Govt. fee and D/L Smart card fee.

9. What are the requirements to get a Learner’s Driving License ?

Application in Form 1 and 2 of C.M.V.Rules 1989
Documents required as evidence as to the correctness of address and age –
1. Electoral Roll.
2. Life Insurance Policy.
3. Passport.
4. Pay Slip issued by any officer of the Central Government or a State Government or a Local body (PRIs/ULBs).
5. School Certificate.
6. Birth Certificate.
7. Certificate granted by a registered medical practitioner, not below the rank of a Civil Surgeon as to the age of the applicant.
8. Any other document or documents as prescribed by the State Government under clause (k) of section 28.
9. Proof of legal presence in India in addition to proof of residence in case of foreigners.
Three passports sized recent photographs.
Government fees.
1. Motor Cycle without Gear: 16 years & above.
2. Light Motor Vehicle (Non-Transport): 18 years & above.
3. Transport Category: 20 years & above.
4. Vehicles Carrying Dangerous Goods: As in (iii) above & in addition at least 3(three) days specialized training on the specific subject.
Consent of parent or guardian, in case of an application made by minor for learner’s license to drive a motorcycle without gear, is required.
Educational Qualification:
1. For MCWOG, MCWG & LMV (NT): Optional.
2. For Transport Vehicle: Minimum class eighth standard pass.

10. How one can get duplicate Driving License, if Lost/Destroyed/Mutilated ?

Application in Form 2 and 8 of C.M.V. Rules 1989.
An effective learner’s license to drive the vehicle of the type to which the application relates and issued not less than 30 (thirty) days ago.
Driving Certificate in Form 5 from a Motor Training School, in the case for the addition of a Transport Vehicle category.
Minimum educational qualification in case of Transport Vehicle shall be a class eighth standard pass.
Govt. Fees Rs.70/- plus Rs.290/- and D/L Smart card fee Rs.140/-.

11. How one can change address in Driving License ?

Application in plain paper to the licensing authority in whose jurisdiction the applicant resides.
Proof of address- like as learner’s driving license.
Original Driving License and particulars / N.O.C. from the Licensing Authority by whom the D/L was issued in case of coming from another region.
Govt. Fees Rs.240/- and D/L Smart card fee Rs.140/-.

12. Is it mandatory to undergo Motor Driving Training School to get a Driving License ?

For getting a Driving License of any Non-Transport vehicle, no training course in MTS is mandatory.
For getting a Driving License of any Transport vehicle, such training in MTS and certificate in Form-5 is mandatory.

13. What is the Renewal of Registration of private (non-transport) vehicles ?

Not before than Sixty days before the expiry of the validity of the Registration, the registered owner is required to apply to get the registration of his vehicle renewed and the following documents are required:
Application in form 25.
Registration certificate in original.
Proof for the payment of up-to-date road tax.
Copies of the insurance certificate.
Pollution under control certificate.

The vehicle is to be brought to the local office for inspection of its roadworthiness and if the vehicle is found to be fit for use on the roads, the renewal of registration is allowed for a period of five years at a time.